sturgislogo.gif - 51178 Bytes

The Sturgis House
122 West 5th Street
East Liverpool, Ohio 43920
Phone: (330) 382-0194





rose.gif - 2373 Bytesrose.gif - 2373 Bytesrose.gif - 2373 Bytes


Bedrooms
tunstallp.gif - 2526 Bytes
stokecityp.gif - 2526 Bytes
longtonp.gif - 2526 Bytes
fentonp.gif - 2526 Bytes
hanleyp.gif - 2526 Bytes
burslemp.gif - 2526 Bytes

       Emphasis at The Sturgis House is on privacy and conveniences for rest and comfort, all in a historic setting. There are six bedrooms and an equal number of bathrooms, each with a shower and one with a jacuzzi bath. One bedroom has an adjoining kitchen while the third floor suite can accommodate a family of four. For safety, The Sturgis House has smoke detectors and fire exits throughout. Rates and Information. We also offer FREE Wireless internet for your convenience

      Comfortable furnishings and period furniture complement the Victorian revival wallpapers and antique accents in all the rooms, including the parlor and dining room areas. The Sturgis House contains many customized touches for the pleasure and comfort of guests, including individual telephone service in each room and cable television. A continental breakfast and afternoon snacks are included with each night's fare and the kitchen is available twenty-four hours. The friendly staff assures that the rooms are immaculate and will be glad to assist in locating area attractions.


rose.gif - 2373 Bytesrose.gif - 2373 Bytesrose.gif - 2373 Bytes


History of the Sturgis House...

      The Sturgis House is a restored Victorian mansion originally built by the Erlanger family shortly after the turn of the century. The residence eventually became the funeral home operation of the late E.G. Sturgis. It was at this location that a young Frank A. Dawson, working as a funeral director for Mr. Sturgis, embalmed and shipped the remains of Charles Arthur "Pretty Boy" Floyd to Salisaw, Oklahoma. Floyd, public enemy number one, was gunned down on the outskirts of East Liverpool, October 22, 1934.
As the story goes... Thousands of citizens viewed Floyd's remains on a small bed in one of the parlors prior to his being returned home at the request of his mother. Mr. Sturgis died in December 1934, at which time Mr. Dawson acquired the operating company, eventually moving it to 215 West Fifth Street in 1939.

      The Sturgis House had many occupants for the next fifty years until Mr. Dawson's son, Frank C. Dawson, and his family acquired the facility in 1993. The building was ready for its first guests on the July Fourth weekend of 1998 when a contingent of visitors from Stoke-On-Trent, England, stayed during the East Liverpool High School All-Class Reunion. Each of the six bedrooms in the house is named in honor of the towns that comprise Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley, Burslem, Longton, Fenton, Tunstall and Stoke City). The Stoke heritage is deep in East Liverpool history because so many ancestors of the city's families came here from that section of Great Britain to build the pottery industry for which we are renowned
       The Sturgis House is within walking distance of two major antique malls, as well as smaller antique shops, Oak Haven, The Lou Holtz/Upper Ohio Valley Hall of Fame and several downtown restaurants.

rose.gif - 2373 Bytesrose.gif - 2373 Bytesrose.gif - 2373 Bytes

Please sign our Guestbook to let us know what you think.

You are guest number

More information may be requested from The Management



Return to Top


Guest counter courtesy of Digits.com